Our communications director at Forward Theater, where I sit on the board of directors, is off to write more plays. I’m very jealous.
However, this is a terrific opportunity for someone interested in the Madison arts scene who wants to work part-time as a marketing and communications professional. The successful candidate will grow with the success of the theater. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Forward Theater, Madison young repertory theater, operates with the actors and the board of directors working in concert with our very talented staff led by the incomparable Jen Uphoff Gray. It’s a wildly innovative and loving family atmosphere.
Contact me if you need more info.
Here is the job description and info:
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Marketing Director
Forward Theater Company
LOCATION: Madison, Wisconsin
POSITION TYPE: Half-time
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Forward Theater Company is Madison’s non-profit, professional theater company in residence at Overture Center for the Arts. The Marketing Director will project the voice of Forward Theater Company, disseminating information about the company’s artistic product, organizational milestones, community programs, and mission. By communicating with Southern Wisconsin residents about the theater in a variety of media, the Marketing Director will garner the support and goodwill of area arts patrons, as well as the broader community.
- Create annual Marketing Plan, in consultation with members of the board and staff. These plans will serve as the tactical road map for each season, listing schedules, budgets, the proposed combination of promotional vehicles, target audiences, rationale for each tactic, and expected results.
- Write and distribute press releases to all area media. The Marketing Director will keep abreast of media opportunities from emerging publications, develop relationships with editors, reporters, bloggers, and publishers, pitch stories to writers, and maintain a current list of contacts.
- Coordinate reviewers for all performances. Reviewers will be provided with press releases, promotional photos, tickets, and any other requested information to facilitate their online or print reviews.
- Coordinate ad buys, appearances, interviews, public service announcements, and in-kind sponsorships with local television stations, radio stations, print media, and online media. The combination of free and paid media exposure will be designed to optimize our investment and maximize our visibility in the community.
- Coordinate media appearances/interviews with production artists in accordance with Actor’s Equity Association regulations.
- Work with designer to create newspaper ads, banners, posters, post cards, and other promotional materials. These pieces will stimulate single ticket sales and raise awareness of Forward Theater’s performances in the community. The Marketing Director will ensure that the visual and verbal assets used will reinforce our brand.
- Write and coordinate the creation of all brochures, marketing pieces, and subscription renewal pieces, again with appropriate branding. These items are key in generating earned revenue, building a subscriber and audience base, and presenting Forward as a creative, professional, prestigious company.
- Coordinate photography and videos of productions. It is important not only to have archival photos and videos of all of our productions, but also to engage potential audience with visual media. Promotional videos posted on our website provide “trailers” for audiences to get a sneak peek at our plays. Photo stills distributed to journalists are an essential way to promote the actors engaged in our productions, local actors audiences have grown to love.
- Coordinate speaking engagements. The leadership of FTC (Artistic Director and Board President) has the opportunity to win hearts and minds through public speaking at meetings of community groups and business alliances. The Marketing Director will field requests from groups such as the Kiwanis, Rotary, Attic Angels, etc, and also seek out opportunities to engage with high profile entities, such as Tempo and Open.
- Work with mail-houses and box office to manage mailing lists and email lists. Also work with the Overture Center Ticket Office and other performing arts groups to trade or borrow lists for email blasts and special mailings.
- Write and edit performance program books. The Marketing Director will work with Footlights to secure ads, layout programs, and proof books for accuracy. He/she will also collect production information from actors, designers, playwrights, sponsors, and board representatives, adhere to contractual obligations from publishers, design messages from FTC promoting future events, and ensure that donors are acknowledged appropriately.
- Edit, and oversee organization’s website, blogs, emails, e-newsletter, Facebook and Twitter entries. Working with actors and members of the Advisory Company, the Marketing Director will generate content for electronic media, keeping our site fresh and keeping in constant contact with our younger, more tech-savvy audience. Working with our web site designer, he/she will ensure that appropriate news articles, pictures, videos and ticket ordering mechanisms are added to the site in a timely manner, and that visually and verbally these media adhere to our brand.
- Assist FTC’s Artistic Associate in building the conversation about FTC in the community through promotion of outreach and programming efforts, such as Play Club, special exhibits and preshow lectures.
- Work within a budget, set with the board and staff. The Marketing Director will work creatively with available funds, in-kind donations, independent contractors and volunteers to ensure that FTC’s messages reach the maximum number of community members and likely audiences, without exceeding spending limits.
- Participate in long-range planning for the company, along with board and staff members. Expanding marketing and communications efforts will be key in growing the organization.
This person works in concert with the other staff members and reports to the Artistic Director.
This is a half-time position as a regular employee; competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Send resume to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.